Oculus Rift and a laptop, Does it work together?

By | January 12, 2016

Asus_UX301

There are lots of reasons people prefer a laptop over a desktop, it’s more convenient, easy to travel with, doesn’t take as much space ( it doesn’t have all these wire hanging in the back), so if you are a gamer like me and like to combine everyday networking and gaming on your laptop, you will be happy to know that the next generations virtual reality games and the Oculus Rift will be available to play on a laptop.

What kind of laptop do you need to run the rift?

We all know you need a high-performance PC’s to support the rift, this is why at first we taught it would be impossible to play the Oculus rift on a laptop since it was never going to be powerful enough but with the new graphics card from Nvidia the GTX 980 they made it possible to happens.

They already integrated this new card in a bunch of new awesome gaming laptop. Here’s a list of the ones that are going to be compatible with the rift.

• ASUS GX700VO (G-SYNC, Water-Cooled)

"MSI GT80" by Liebevoll - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 via Wikimedia Commons.

MSI GT80” by LiebevollOwn work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 via Wikimedia Commons.

• AORUS X7 DT (G-SYNC)
  • MSI GT80 (18,4″, SLI)
  • MSI GT72 (G-SYNC)
  • CLEVO P870DM (G-SYNC)
  • CLEVO P775DM (G-SYNC)

It’s also safe to say that all of these laptops have the same performance as any desktop computers, and another cool thing is that all of them are overclockable, which make gaming really interesting and you can be sure that with one of those laptops, you will get the best experience from the rift that you could get.

Upgrade your PC performance

These laptops above are really top quality and they can go for a lot of money. If you already have a good laptop and you would like to upgrade is the performance to be able to run the rift you can also do that by buying only the parts you need. This could be a better solution for you and a lot cheaper.

First things first, let me show you what is recommended of your system to be able to perform and support the rift.

Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater

CPU: Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater

Memory: 8GB+ RAM

Video: Output Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output

USB Ports: 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port

OS Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer

These are the recommended specs made by Oculus, so if you have most of them there’s the possibility to buy only the parts you need. The most recent laptop already has most of those specs so you could get away having to buy only the video card from Nvidia.
If you don’t know what you are missing there is a test that you can run on the Oculus rift website, to find out if your laptop is rift ready or not, it will also let you know what you need to upgrade to be able to run the Oculus rift to it’s full capacity.
I put up a link down below that is going to bring you directly to Oculus website, you just have to go at the bottom and you can run the test from there, it shouldn’t take more than a minute.

If you need any advice or have questions or comments don’t hesitate to ask me and I’ll help you with the best of my knowledge.
Emile
Founder of allaboutvirtualreality.com

12 thoughts on “Oculus Rift and a laptop, Does it work together?

1. Tar

In general, that’s what laptop stands out I’m comparison to desktop although I think the memory capacity is one of those which is superior found in desktop.

Game developers and software firms these days have focused on introducing and selling products which are compatible in laptops.

Thanks for letting us know that there’s a cheaper alternative to upgrade performance wise. Clearly, I think it’s a workload if we have new laptops.

This is because there’s so many data, well, assumingly most of us have in our laptops, to be transferred to a new acquired laptop.

1. Emile Post author

At some point, desktop computers will always be superior, it always depends on your need but nowadays most laptop computers does the job real good and now that they’re even able to run the Oculus Rift, they probably can run all the most recent computer games that need a powerful PC.

Upgrading the performance of our laptop is a lot better alternative for a lot of people just like you said because of data transfer also, they don’t wanna get rid of their old laptops if it’s still working well.

Thanks for stopping by, come by anytime.
      Cheers,
      Emile

2. Michel

I really like your website Emile, we both share the same passion about technology. I’m very interested in virtual reality as well. The theme goes well with the niche your chose, try to keep your website neat so readers don’t get lost when browsing throughout your posts. Great website and good luck!

1. Emile Post author

I am glad you like technology as well, I think it’s really impressive how fast it’s growing. Virtual reality took a big step in the last few years and it’s getting better and better. Can’t wait to see what the future holds.
      Glad you like my theme and thanks for the advice, I’ll try to keep things organized.
      Thanks a lot,
      Cheers,
      Emile

3. Tempest

I’ve been saving up in hopes of buying myself the Oculus Rift for a while. However, my desktop computers recently stopped working, so I’d have to stick with using my laptop for a while. I wasn’t quite sure how well it would work, or even if it would work. Thank you so much for the advice. This was really useful and I could tell you definitely knew what you were talking about.

1. Emile Post author

Yeah, the Oculus Rift can cost a lot of money but from what we thought it was gonna cost a couple years ago, which was a lot more I think the price is fair.
      If you want to make sure your laptop can run the rift just go to Oculus Rift website and run the test below, it takes about a minutes, and they’ll tell you what you need to upgrade ( if needed ).
      Here’s the link for it: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/rift/
      Glad you liked the post, have a good day,
      Cheers,
      Emile

4. BeckySue

Very NICE! I love this, classic and sexy. You images make the page POP! I usually have problems reading light blue on white but you chose the perfect font for it and I like the way the menu is organized. Your article is nicely written and clearly communicate, not persnickety in anyway. You don’t talk down to the audience and you don’t assume that they know everything. I enjoyed visiting your site.

1. Emile Post author

Thanks a lot, I search a lot to find some good relevant images, and am glad you liked how things look, and it’s better keeping things organized to people don’t get confuse, I’ll try my best keeping it this way 🙂
      Come back anytime,
      Cheers,
      Emile

5. Steve

With all the new advancements going on, I was quite tempted to get a gaming destop. However, I also do not want room to get too crampy. That being said, this could just be the alternative I have been looking for and the cost is less damaging compared to getting a brand new desktop just for gaming. Anyway, great information provided in the post and many could not have thought of that.

Cheers
    Steve

1. Emile Post author

I am thinking the same as you, in my every day life I am using my laptop all the time so I don’t really want a desktop computer just for my gaming, if I can do both with my laptop, I am super happy with that.
      Also like you said it takes a lot of space.
      Thanks for stopping by, come back anytime! 🙂
      Emile

6. Ben

Your website stands out to me from others. You just have put such a great deal of emphasis on providing the user with a quality review into such a unique product. You have definitely done the Oculus Rift justice by the elaboration you have gone into when explaining the products features and overall level of quality

7. Emile Post author

Thanks a lot for the support, I tried explaining things as clearly and simple as possible to provide the best experience for my reader, I am glad you like the post!
    Emile